Children are stakeholders of the Internet too!
The regulator of Internet (ICANN) has launched the program of new gTLD application, which means in the coming future, besides .com, .org or .edu, there will be something like .play, .apps and .kids etc..
However, .kid(s) MUST be a domain with the best interest of children at heart. Their participation will contribute to the betterment of the Internet world and must not be neglected. The .kid(s) gTLD must be a global platform to drive the creation of kids friendly content on the Internet, and one that enables and empowers kids to participate in Internet governance with a core principle in advocating children’s rights.
We, DotKids Foundation, as the only community based applicant for the “.kid(s)” domain, acknowledging the impact that a .kid(s) domain will have on kids and the general public around the world, we believe that .kid(s) must be run under these guiding principles:
- Adopt the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child as a fundamental guiding principle to protect the rights of children;
- Operate as a not-for-profit initiative promoting kids-friendly content on the Internet;
- Promote the well-being of children online and uphold children’s rights;
- Value children’s participation on Internet governance by making .kid(s) a platform for children as an important part of the multi-stakeholder approach to build a better Internet world together; and
- Support child-right organizations and initiatives around the world, especially with relevance to the development of the Internet with the best interests of the child as a fundamental principle.
You were also a child once.
Support us for the future kids friendly Internet!